Potty Training Help!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Confirmation-We have done a few things right so far!

My eldest daughter had Kindergarten Screening this morning, and, for some reason, I was nervous.  I had visions of us going in with high hopes and seeing them asking her to point to her nose as she pointed to her toes or stack the red, yellow and green blocks and she would throw them at the teacher's head or something.  I was hoping that these things wouldn't happen, but, hey, you never know!
Now these are not the usual behaviors for my daughter.  There is absolutely no reason that I should be afraid that she wouldn't pass the screening.  She has attended pre-school for the past two years and has always passed her developmental milestones early or right on time.  I don't know why I was so nervous about this screening but the good news is that she was within normal ranges for all of the screening areas and she passed! 
Now the hard part begins.  Now I know that I have to start making preparations to let her go for the first time.  Now I have to begin to prepare myself for Kindergarten and have to be willing to let her turn into a school age child. 
I know that some of this will happen naturally, but I have to work on a few things so that she won't be scared to go to Kindergarten.  Here they are:
  1. I have to stop crying every time I think of her going to school every day, all day long.
  2. I have to face the reality that it is going to happen.  Not only is it going to happen, but once it does, I'm going to love it!
  3. I have to stop saying "I can't talk about it" whenever someone asks me about her new journey into Elementary school.
  4. I must find something for Maya to do when Olivia is at school.  As it is now, when ever she can't find her older sister, she wanders around the house looking in every nook and cranny and whining her approximation of Olivia.  She is going to be b-o-r-e-d, I fear.
So, what exactly does this all mean?  I need to embrace this change, mostly because it is inevitable but partially because it is a positive and important change for all of us.  We are also proud that somewhere along the way, Olivia has managed to acquire enough knowledge to pass a basic Kindergarten Screening test and that we have, in fact, actually taught her enough to give her a strong start.  I'm very proud of Olivia and excited to see what Elementary School has in store for us.
To Kindergarten, and Beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment