Potty Training Help!

Monday, June 21, 2010

Today I put on my Cranky Pants

Today is a rough day.  Today I put on my cranky pants without even realizing it.
When you're a mom, you don't really get cranky days.  When you're a kid, you can have a day where you are grouchy and frown and scowl all day long and everyone tells you to change your attitude and maybe you get sent to your room...but  that's it.  When you're a mom (especially when you're a stay at home mom) the cranky pants day is not really something you get to take advantage of.

As the mom of the house, I generally need to be on my toes, keeping an eye on the day's schedule, working on my tasks and trying to find a few minutes to de-compress during nap time.  Today, though, after our really kick-butt Kenpo X workout, I was in the shower and suddenly I was full of rage. Everything I thought of made me spin off in a "Sneaky Hate Spiral"(If you haven't read it-I highly encourage a thorough perusal of www.hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com ). This is dangerous. Not only was my husband quickly going to expect some sort of polite conversation as he got ready for his shower-at this point I was so full of ridiculous, impotent rage that when he entered the bathroom he was barraged by a spastic, psychotic rant of verbal diarrhea. It was bad. He is a true champion, though, and as I finished my rant he smiled at me and said "Perfectly reasonable. I love you!"
After lunch, and after he left for work, I put my youngest daughter down to nap and started an afternoon movie for my oldest daughter so that I could do the dishes, clean up and take a few minutes to stew.
Boy, did I ever stew. I called a friend and stewed in my grouchiness, I sat in my chair and stewed, I even laid on the couch, crossed my arms, and pouted...and didn't feel any better. That made me even more grouchy! I refused to get off the couch until I got some sort of confirmation from the universe that I was justified in my grouchiness. Then I really made it official-I posted it in my status on Facebook. There. Now everyone would know that I was grouchy and rush to make me feel better. But no one did. So I did. I commented on my own status "C'mon, me, turn that frown upside down!" Then I laughed at myself.
Now, I've changed out of my cranky pants and back into my happy, normal pants-and I'm ready to tackle my biggest hurdle of the day-GROCERY SHOPPING AT SAM'S WITH TWO CHILDREN IN TOW!!!
No pouting allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment