Potty Training Help!

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Making a Weeping Angel with a Dollar Store Doll and feeling very uncomfortable in the process.

Trying to complete a Doctor Who themed craft for my daughter's 10th birthday got weird.  I'm not a naturally crafty person, but I'll try just about anything for a birthday party now that they're old enough to remember them. 
First, I looked up different ways to create them.  This blog seemed the easiest to follow and looked pretty cool. 
We went to the Dollar Store and picked up two lovely 10"dolls.  This is where it starts to get weird.  Quick disclaimer about the messy kitchen:  normally I would put away or at least move the mess out of frame but I was on a time crunch and it was late AND I wanted the girls to help so we HAD to get this done-on top of the party supplies. 
First, I stripped the dolls and bent those ladies over.  After a whispered apology I stuffed a skewer in through the uncomfortable parts and all the way up to the head.  That is one BIG bonus to working with cheap, hollow dolls.  They are very easy to skewer.



Next, we cut the arms at the elbow (the kids were especially gleeful about this part) and chopped off their hair.  


Next, we hot glued the hands over the eyes, and the forearms to the elbows, and then started assembling the gown.

We had decided that our Angels would be clad in nothing but the best-Dollar Store Surgical Masks and Foam Board wings.  So, we got to work!  We shaped the dresses, hot glued them on the Angels, added the wings, tied a string around the waist, and were very pleasantly surprised with the results!


Finally, it was time to paint.
We did a base coat of Mineral Blue, then a top coat of an ivory.  My daughter thinks they are AWESOME and has already declared this her best birthday ever.  I'm pretty happy with them and SUPER happy with the price tag (about 2.50 each) 

Now, like the original blogger, we have to find a shelf or place by a mirror so that they don't get us!

Remember- DON'T BLINK!  

No comments:

Post a Comment