Potty Training Help!

Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Torturous Day of Mayhem

Yesterday was not a good day for the Smith ladies.  We had a day of fighting, not listening, crying and general chaos.  It was one of those days when, for the few minutes that everything goes well, you hug your children and tell them you love them and then one of them hits the other one and all bets are off.
Nap time came and went, along with a HUGE tantrum from Olivia and both girls took miniscule teeny tiny little naps.  I was at my wits end.  All I could think of was "I need BACKUP!"
Finally, Lincoln was on his way home from work.  Relief was in sight.  He pulled into the driveway and took over the care of the little monsters.  I was preparing dinner, put Maya in her high chair and she grabbed my glass of water from the table and poured it all over herself, the high chair and the floor.  I just lost all ability to pretend that this day wasn't bothering me.  I kept wondering what was wrong with me?  Why couldn't I just control the situation?  What had I been doing so wrong today that my children were completely out of control?
I was on the floor, sputtering about escaping by myself...maybe even to jail...for a few days of silence when Lincoln asked me, incredulously, "What is wrong with you?"  I gave him a dirty look and said "We've had a...very...very...difficult day."
We had dinner, went through the evening after dinner, and you know what?  It wasn't just me!  Lincoln had just as hard a time as I had been having all day.  My only thought was "Thank GOD!"  When we had a minute, I asked him, "Now, do you see what I was talking about earlier?"  And he said very quietly, "Yes."
I was so relieved that I was ready to cry.  I felt so bad that he was having a hard time with them, too, but at least I wasn't alone in experiencing this.
Now, we've all had a good night's sleep and we are all getting along again.  Olivia is listening, has told me that she loves us and Maya is not destroying the house in a single reach.  We made it through and no one even had to go to jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment