Potty Training Help!

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Our Baby is Turning One!

My youngest daughter is turning one in a few days.  It is amazing to think that a year ago she was not even a separate being from me-she was a tiny baby, dependent on my nutrients and contained within my body.  She was a mystery to us, and we looked forward to meeting her and watching her personality form.  
Now she is showing her personality and she is even more than I could have hoped for!  She has a great sense of humor, appears to be unfailingly curious, loves to play with her sister and our dog, is friendly to strangers but is still a mommy's girl.  


We are amazed at how early the sibling friction can be seen.  One day, when we were in the car, our eldest daughter was trying to relax and have quiet time.  Our youngest picked up on that and kept screaming at her and then laughing when Olivia would say "Maya, STOP YELLING!"  Then Maya would yell again and laugh, looking right at Olivia the whole time.  Needless to say,  my husband and I found that very amusing.  


We look back to our four-year-old's first birthday and how far she has come in just three years.  At the same time, we try to predict what Maya will be like in three years and have a few theories:

  1. Wild Woman:  She could turn out to be the class clown, very boisterous and talkative.  I have a feeling she will be a "look before you leap" kind of person.  To be honest, I am nervous about what life will be like with her walking, running and exploring on her own.  I think I'll have to get in better shape.
  2. Scientist:  Maybe not a scientist, maybe more of a food critic since everything goes in her mouth.  Hopefully that will stop.
  3.   Endurance Runner:  Maya watches her sister with rapt attention and clearly just wants to do just what her sister is doing.  I think that she will walk for a day and run to catch up with Olivia for the rest of her life.
  4. Math/Academic Whiz:  This is from my personal experience.  I had math troubles and was forced under penalty of being whipped with a wet noodle to do math flash cards nightly.  As a result, my younger sister knew the times tables, addition and subtraction and how to divide before I really understood any of that.  That really ticked me off, by the way.  Not enough to learn them but just enough to be really mad that my sister had beaten me.
  5. Cuddle Bug:  Maya is a very cuddly, huggy baby and I hope that continues well into her school years.  
Happy Birthday, Maya Papaya!  





For the record, Olivia thinks Maya will be a princess when she's 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment